What are Essential Oils?
An essential oil is a naturally-produced liquid obtained from the roots, flowers, fruit, bark, stems and other elements of a botanical. Steam distillation is the most common method of extracting essential oils; through this process, the essential oil is extracted from its botanical and condensed into a highly concentrated and pure liquid, ready for use by consumers. Cold pressing is also used to extract certain oils—specifically citrus oils like Lemon,Orange and Bergamot. This process involves piercing the fruit’s peel, pressing it to release the oil, and then collecting it.
Essential oils have been valued and used throughout history for their beneficial therapeutic and medicinal properties. Because they contain the essence of the extracted botanical or botanical part, they can soothe users and aid in their physical well-being. Most essential oils are delightfully fragrant, while some even have a delicious taste.
At dōTERRA, we want you to experience the valuable benefits of essential oils for yourself. We put emphasis on purity and quality, guaranteeing that you are getting the best oils available anywhere in the world. We have created dozens of new products to give you and the people you care about a fuller life.
How do I use Essential Oils?
Essential Oils are more than just great products — they have the power to create rich user experiences. There are three basic ways to use and benefit from essential oils: aromatically, which involves smelling or breathing them through the nose or mouth, internally, or swallowing them, and topically, or applying them directly to the skin.
Inhaling essential oils is one of the easiest ways to become better acquainted with them as well as enjoy their therapeutic benefits. When breathing in essential oils, the molecules directly enter the blood stream through the lungs. Additionally, the aroma that each essential oil possesses affects your brain and mood through the olfactory nerves when inhaled.
Aromatic Use Recommendations:
- Diffuse oils in an dōTERRA diffuser to experience their rich aromas and therapeutic benefits as the oils are dispersed into the surrounding space
- Simply rub 1-3 drops of oil into palms and breathe deeply into cupped hands
Many prefer this method when working with essential oils. Once applied, the oil passes quickly into the surrounding tissues and the bloodstream allowing for quick relief and benefits. Diluting with a carrier oil such as Fractionated Coconut Oil (FCO) is always recommended for children and people with fragile systems, or anyone who finds a sensitivity to a particular or hot oil.
Topical Application Recommendations*:
- Massage certain essential oils into feet, shoulders, neck, or other parts of the body to relieve aches and pains
- Add 2-3 drops of essential oil directly to areas needing relief or support
Essential oils are highly concentrated substances, allowing you to use them sparingly. With proper use, internally consuming essential oils offers various effective benefits. Essential oils can assist in many ways, from balancing your metabolism to supporting normal organ function.
Internal Consumption Recommendations*:
- Add 1-3 drops of oil to water, juice, tea, shakes or other beverage
- Use 1-3 drops oil when cooking; this will bring out the natural flavors of the ingredients while they are prepared
- Add oils as directed to Veggie Cap and consume internally; the Veggie Cap will break down, allowing the oil to enter your digestive system